Wednesday 27 July 2016

New Forest Wonders

On Sunday we went on a family walk at Cerne Abbas in Dorset. Unfortunately the weather wasn’t great so it wasn’t the best day for wildlife.
DSCN0310
That’s not to say there was no wildlife around though. From the car park I could hear loud screeching which could have only come from a buzzard. Sure enough, I quickly spotted the culprit which was clearly one of this year’s chicks.
DSCN0309
Not far from the famous Cerne Abbas Giant we spotted lots of yellowhammers giving alarm calls. Ironically my bird book says yellowhammers are “typical on warm, sunny days”.
DSCN0317
As the title suggests though most of today’s content comes from the New Forest. It’s always delightful to head out of the town and into the forest but this is probably the best time of year to go.  The boggy areas are drier than usual, there’s still hardly anyone around during the week and the heather is looking fantastic.
DSCN0326
My first spot was a fungus, a Common Earthball (Scleroderma citrinum).
DSCN0319
Near one of the streams, as well as a herd of cows, were loads of dragonflies. I thought I saw two different species but it turns out they were male (blue) and female (yellow) Keeled Skimmers.
DSCN0333
DSCN0329
It has become traditional for every post to have a photo of a deer in it and today is no different! This one is perhaps the best yet though, a fallow deer stag.
DSCN0340
I also spotted a young roe deer stag, although this one was a little further away:
DSCN0334
There were lots of birds flitting around the gorse and I couldn’t quite work out what they were initially.
DSCN0325
I think that was a juvenile, or at least a female. When I eventually spotted a male it became clear they were stonechats. It’s amazing how these birds can stand on the sharp gorse.
DSCN0356
I also spotted a more unusual butterfly on the heathland, a brown argus :
DSCN0348
As I came back into the town I finally managed to capture one of the many white butterflies in the area. These butterflies don’t seem to settle very often and I have been trying to photograph one for ages.
DSCN0361
I really struggled to identify this as any one species but I eventually concluded it’s probably a Green Veined White. It certainly looks about the right colour and they are apparently highly-variable.
All in all, it was a fantastic day in the forest.
DSCN0321

No comments:

Post a Comment